Stacy Rae

My photo
Henderson, Nevada, United States
This blog is about my journey to Korea! While I am there I will be teaching conversational English and living in two different Korean homes. This is a once in a lifetime chance to go on an adventure across the world! I am SO blessed!

Monday, July 12, 2010

lots to take in!

Monday 7/12/10 we got to go to an all girls University, Duksang! They took us on a tour of their building! It was absolutely beautiful! They are really close to Dobong Mountain. They set up for us some meet and greet time with some of the students of the school. We all sat in a circle and talked about their lifestyles here and ours in America. Actually a few of them are going to be going to Universities in the US starting this fall. They are really excited and nervous for the transition so we got to talk to them all about that! After that we went back to the Dobong office and we got to dress up, learn some Korean, and traditional ways to speak/act toward the elderly. Monday my host family mother took Judit and I home with Sky…she showed us how to use the bus- unfortunately it was very difficult to understand what she was saying so she had to show me! It was so funny!
At the university there were some men cutting the grass…I think we were there for 3 hours right, well they were cutting it with a weed wacker, and when we were leaving they weren’t even half way done with the football field size area! It was so funny to me!


This morning I asked everyone about the bathrooms! My bathroom didn’t have a shower curtain and when I went in to the bathroom the floor was soaking wet. I was very confused! Then when I asked everyone …come to find out they take a shower standing up in the bathroom on the tile floor. Apparently the drain on the floor is for taking showers outside of the tub. I am not sure why they do this…why not just shower in the tub since you have it right? So I asked my girls about it and they said I can take it in the tub or outside….but either way the floor gets soaking wet! AND….the only towels that they have for your body/hair are the size of a hand towel. SO I found a wal*mart…AKA- Lotte Mart and bought a BIG beach towel. I guess you can say I am really really spoiled!!!
My host mom is best friends with all the moms, she has been showing us everything, feeding us ALL the time! She is so sweet! She took me and Judit to a market that was underground. It was like a grocery store, she let me pick out some of my favorite foods to eat and bought me cereal! Haha
OH…this would never happen in Vegas!
Everyone in the apartments which are like 16 stories, and about 8 in a pack- so you can imagine what the car situation would be like! There isn’t a lot of room for cars, not everyone has them because it is too much of a hassle, so they walk, take a bus, or subway. Well everyone here- if they park in front of someone they park in neutral…that way if someone needed to get out they just push the car out of the way! WHAT THE HECK….RIGHT??!! haha That would never fly in Vegas, that would be the start of grand theft auto! !
Poor Travis, he went to the hospital today- he had an intestine infection! Its weird how things work out, his host family…the dad is a Doctor! And when Travis went to the hospital the family just so happened to all be there getting a checkup. What are the odds of that? I am so glad that he is okay. Poor guy, hopefully no one else gets sick!
I am super tired! Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment