Stacy Rae

My photo
Henderson, Nevada, United States
This blog is about my journey to Korea! While I am there I will be teaching conversational English and living in two different Korean homes. This is a once in a lifetime chance to go on an adventure across the world! I am SO blessed!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Subway lesson well learned!

Today, Tuesday 7/13/10
I walked to Judits house, (about 5 mins away) We took the bus together. It was pretty simple- but for me being a white girl in the middle of Korea and only being here for less than 5 days I was pretty scared to go! Even though my host mom showed be the day before- I was doing it without her! Judit made me feel SO much better! She was excited to go! Well we made it there on time…actually 40mins early! HAHA!
Today we went to the Silver Center- an elderly home. Get it? Silver …gray hair?? HAHAHA!!
This was such a blast! All the men working there were doing their service of 2 years which in the Korean Military it is mandatory! I thought after working with them all day that they are amazing! All the guys were so welcoming, funny, and were SO interested in getting to know us! One actually found me on facebook today! Yippy! We got to do arts &crafts with the seniors, and we also had to help feed them! Me, Krista, and Zach were all sitting at the same table feeding. Well Zach had 2 people, one on each side. The lady on his left was well how do I put this nicely…she was like a mean toddler! She smacked the helpers in the head, their hands because she didn’t want to eat. She wanted to do it herself, but she really needed some assistance. Then the man on the right of him, he was sitting next to me. One of the soldiers told us that the man knows Spanish. So Zach goes, “hola, como estas?” the man started to say something and then started crying. Krista and I both started crying…it was so sad! He said that we reminded him of when he used to be an interpreter in the war. He would translate Korean/Spanish. Next thing you know we are crying and then the lady on the left of him smacks the worker…all in a matter of like 3 minutes Krista and I were laughing and crying!! It was an amazing time!
After Silver Center we all went to my host family’s house then she took me, Judit, and Zach to the center of Seoul! We took bus 101 all the way there. It took us about an hour but we had a blast! While we were there my mom called Sky’s mom and she put Sky on a bus by himself to meet up with us! We were laughing so hard because Sky was probably SO CONFUSED! I know we were trying to find him and tell him we were! While we were shopping we saw a lot of “foreigners” so Judit and I started playing slug bug…we hit each other and said NA, standing for not Asian! HAHA! All week we barley saw any foreigners and today we saw a ton! Now everyone is playing that game! Its pretty funny! Well after we found Sky it started to rain and we were going to take the bus but my mom said to take the subway and she would show us! HOLY CRAP, there was like a whole other world down there! I couldn’t believe it! The subway was pretty easy to navigate, however we went during rush hour at 7:30pmish, and NEVER again…it was SO packed! I mean I was touching 4 different people one on each side and one in front and in back….it got better once the doors opened and then MORE people got on! It was so much fun, but very hectic!
My 16 year old girl doesn’t get home every night until 10:30pm! I have been so scared, but here I guess that is normal…everyone is outside walking around late at night.




Well I am out for the night! <3

1 comment:

  1. You have me rolling Stace you all are having too much fun like little kids, your mom called Sky's mom ha ha, slug bug you guys are too much. And what's up with 7:30pmish is there such a time lol.... so where is your 16 yr old sister out to so late at night???? love your posts waiting for the next one
    Mom

    ReplyDelete