Stacy Rae

My photo
Henderson, Nevada, United States
This blog is about my journey to Korea! While I am there I will be teaching conversational English and living in two different Korean homes. This is a once in a lifetime chance to go on an adventure across the world! I am SO blessed!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

singing in the fan

Today we took the kids to the Dobong City Hall. They have a Basketball Gym there were we taught the kids how to play basketball. I am not sure if they really understood everything, but you could tell that they were having a blast! You would think that they gym would have AC, but nope- not at the Dobong Office. I actually asked when I got there why it was so hot in their city hall. They told me that they had to make budget cuts and that was one of the things that they cut back on. So they only turn it on during really - I mean really hot hot moments. When I worked last weekend at the science fair I think they turned it on 3 or 4 times and each time it got cooler but then it got hot again.

Anyways back to my story. The kids LOVED basketball. There was one in particular that was really good! His name is Jae. He used to live in America and he said that he played for the YMCA. :) Every kid after 2 hours was dripping in sweat! We were lining up to go back to the school and there were two huge fans by the door. These fans had to have been 3-4 feet in Diameter. They were huge! Well as I am telling the students to line up a few of the boys jumped in front of the fan to cool down. Then the funniest thing happened! They all started singing in Korean into the fan! I was laughing SO hard! I remember when I used to sing in front of the fan to make my voice sound funny. It was hilarious!




Oh and I forgot...we had 20 kids on a public bus- WELL, I have already said that the bus drivers here are crazy! We are riding along and all of a sudden this women goes to cross the street and our bus driver came about 2inches away from hitting her! He swerved and everything! My heart was pounding! I was like holy crap!!! Krista said last week that her bus driver hit a car and then honked at it to get out of the way. The person driving the car had his hands up ( probably thinking what the heck!! )

After school I volunteer at another school in a 1st grade class. They don't really know any English so it is dificult to communicate with them. Today we went over body parts and on Tuesday we did family members. They are SO stinkin cute! Well today as I was leaving the school I started walking home and this little girl came up behind me. She ran all the way over to me from about 20yards away just to give me a coffee drink! It was the cutest thing!! I wish I could talkl with the 1st graders like I do the 4th/5th graders. Its funny because the 1st graders talk to us in Korean like we know it. hahaha! They don't know anything different! Bless their little hearts! They are so cute! On the way into school 1st graders were walking by and one stopped and pointed at me and said, "Beautiful!" and then smiled and ran away! Another girl in class looked at me and the turn her head to the right a little and said, "eyes, what color?" (cause we learned about body parts today and eyes was one of the words) I said Green and she laughed! Green eyes!!! hahahahaha! Like I was some kind of monster! It was so funny!

Here is the other school: (The kids clean here too! - I LOVE IT!)


4 comments:

  1. You look like you are having so much fun! Super jealous, I wish I could have fit in your suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - you need to find out why we don't have a gym in our City Hall. Hahahahaha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I wish you could have fit too!

    ps...exactly! They need to put a gym in our city hall! That would be SO neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea, but it has to be a gym with AIR CONDITIONING!!!!
    I don't know how you do it Stacy!!!! What a trooper

    ReplyDelete