Stacy Rae

My photo
Henderson, Nevada, United States
This blog is about my journey to Korea! While I am there I will be teaching conversational English and living in two different Korean homes. This is a once in a lifetime chance to go on an adventure across the world! I am SO blessed!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Nona

Nona means older sister- coming from a younger brother. :) InJae called me his nona today. I love my family! Sky was teaching me some of the Korean alphabet today after we finished school. Then the teachers started helping us out. Well, when I got home I talked to InJae and his mother. They showed me an easy way to read it- and explained it more in depth. I can totally read Korean and I learned in one day! Its difficult for me to pronounce some of the words because I am so used to English. Now I understand the frustration/confusion that all my students must be facing everyday with English.

Tonight we went to dinner and it was called VIPS. Oh man, it was a really nice steak house. InJae LOVES steak! He was so happy to eat there tonight. While we were waiting to be seated I was looking at some of the books that they had in the waiting area. They had a bunch of children's books. I was so surprised to see a book that I knew! It was, "Thank you Mr. Falker" By Patricia Polacco. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her books! She is one of my favorites now! I was introduced to her books last semester in my social studies class. It was awesome to see that book, I was able to show it to my mother (who knows very little English) and tell her about the book in English as she read some of the pages in Korean. :)

We also took a Cab to the restaurant. This was my first time in a cab here in Korea. The cab was extremely clean! Smelt good AND was really really cheap!!

Well today was a great day! I can't wait till tomorrow! :)

1 comment:

  1. Nona? How cute <3
    Dang Stace! You can read Korean? That's so cool! :D
    Oh my gosh, it seems like all of Korea is super clean.

    ReplyDelete